Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I have my eye on you.....

Well I was gone yesterday to hopefully get my stitches out of my eye but they are going to keep them in for 6 more months. Am I disappointed? Hell no! I didn't want to have to sit still while he took a razor blade to cut them out anyhow, so I was like okay no biggie. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my other eye doctor and we should be able to order a contact. I am crossing my fingers we will get it corrected to 20/20. I haven't seen anything out of the eye for 10 years now so I will be tickled with anything close to 20/20. Isn't that amazing that someone I didn't even know gave up their loved ones eyes to save my sight? It is to me. For some of you that don't know my story I thought I would fill you in. I hope my story will encourage all of you to be on a donor list.
I was diagnosed with Karatoconus 19 years ago in both eyes. What is Karatoconus? Keratoconus, means that the natural curvature of the normal cornea has changed to a cone-like bulge due to a thinning of the cornea. Scarring of the cornea often occurs. This affects vision, which may be blurred or distorted, or may produce a ripple effect. As the disease progresses the affected eyes become increasingly nearsighted (myopic). In its most advanced form functional vision can be destroyed, which would be what eventually would happen to my right eye. So for the last 10 years I went with out vision in my right eye until March when I finally went in and had a cornea transplant. I wrote the family of the donor to thank them for the gift they have given me and I received a letter back from the wife of the man that donated his eye to me. It was such a touching letter. I cried over it and read it everyday for 2 weeks. I will let all of you read it if you want. Her husband was 49 years old and he died suddenly from heart failure due to pneumonia. What I thought was touching is he had two different colored eyes as I do. One of mine is brown and the other is green. The gift this man has given me is beyond words to me. I am so thankful. I am excited to have my sight back and really excited to try it out on darts! Wow I hope it improves my game! It will be awesome to bowl again too, I had to give that up because of my sight impairment. So look out gang maybe I will finally win at darts! ha-ha (I have before but I think full sight might give me more of an advantage!) Everyone's support through this eye thing has meant the world to me, I have the greatest friends! Money could never make me as rich as I am now! *smooches*
Thought for the day:
Do what you can, for who you can with what you have & where you are.

3 comments:

French Fry said...

That is a touching story and brought a tear to my eye as I read it. With all the bad crap you read in the news every day it is nice to see some people still do care about other people and that there are kind people around. You deserve the blessing that you have recieved and I know you will cherish it as that because you are such a great person. I'd love to read her letter to you, if you don't mind. I'm glad things are looking (ha ha) better!!
Love you,
Kelli

~M~ said...

You are sweet thank you so much, I will bring the letter in tomorrow and I will try to scan it and post it for you all to read. Love ya, M

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that most is well, and as I already told you, now you will be able to see your hubby's ass better! keep smiling lady! I love you!