Monday, October 8, 2007

Gone But Not Forgotten......

Today is a date that will forever be etched in my brain. Today is the day 25 years ago I lost my best friend at 13 years old. Stacey Linn Satterfield. What is hard is now having children around that age I often think, wow how could God actually take someone so young that is just starting to find out who she was? Stacey didn’t get to even get her braces removed or experience love, marriage, having children or anything that life had to offer. I suppose it is true the good die young, but did she even have a chance to be bad? Her mom thought so sometimes! Now I know why her mom got mad when we listened to Stroke Me by Billy Squire, it wasn’t about a boat race! My daughter just recently was caught for sneaking out of her friend’s house at night. I wasn’t mad (I know hard to believe) but I wasn’t when I found out it took me right back to Stacey and the summer that she had done that and got caught. I took it easy on Brookie just because it is age appropriate and hell as if I hadn’t done the same at her age! (But her mommy was a lot smarter I didn’t get caught!) Stacey, boy even after all these years I miss you, I miss your smile, your laugh, our long childish conversations and our slumber parties where we phone pranked all night long! I had a dream one night before I had children about Stacey. It was such a vivid dream. We were in a beautiful log home with windows all around and a view of the mountains like no other! She was of my age and we drank coffee and talked about life. That dream came to me and I know it was real; she was visiting me and telling me she was alright. That dream brought me such peace that I will cherish that dream for the rest of my life.

I don’t think any of my friends know what happened to Stacey but Delicia. Stacey had a really bad cold and was out of school for a week, on this particular morning she woke up feeling much better and asked her dad for a glass of water. When he returned she was gone. Just like that, not even 5 minutes had gone by. She died from fluid filling her lungs and drowning her. I don’t think I have ever cried as hard as I had that day. But no tears today, Stacey, I will only remember you with a smile! I just want you to know I still think of you a lot and I will forever miss you. In honor of Stacey Linn Satterfield Born 4/27/1969 ~ Died 10/8/82.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush
I am the swift, uplifting rush

of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there. I do not sleep.

Thought for the day:

Love with all your heart.

4 comments:

French Fry said...

Wow. That is quite the touching story and what a tear jerker. Reading about that dream gave me the chills. How special you must have been to her for her to come tell you she was ok. I can't imagine losing any of my kids, and I'll hug them a little tighter tonight. Thanks, Mish.
Love ya,
Kelli

~M~ said...

Thanks Kelli, It just seemed so unfair her being so young and all but I guess someday we will understand everything. Love ya back! M

Anonymous said...

Gosh Mish, I never knew you had that kind of experience at such a young age with such a good, dear friend! I am sure it was extrememly hard to understand then and even now, why God would take a child like that! Remember her always, the way she was, and she will forever remain!

~M~ said...

Thanks Kel. She is forever immortalized now as that young sweet girl that wrote me silly notes and called me her best friend. I keep a shrine of her in a box that was hidden away until yesterday. I so love to go back and read our childhood notes and think of how innocent we were. Loss teaches us to appreciate life and people we love so much more.