Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tuesday.......

Hey all. The weather has been nice for two days that means no wind, but as I type I am sure the wind will start to blow!!!!! Well tomorrow I have a meeting with the Principal of Randi's school and the Athletic Director. I would like to say I am confident about this meeting but I am not. I would like for them to see my point of view but in the actuality of it all nothing will change. Coaches have always been unfair and are only concerned about winning. What a shame that all the other parents won't back me up the ones that set up the meeting backed out so I stand alone. Is my voice or my views enough to make a change? One would hope. I feel the need to do this so maybe I am the chosen one to make a change? We will see. I hope you all read my intitial letter I posted on the blog and the Coaches lame response. My husband asked me not to respond but those of you that know me knew I wouldn't not respond. I think I am a person that likes to have the last word. I was born a fighter and I don't think that will change anytime soon. What was my response? Here it is:
Obviously you feel you take no responsibility for how Randi feels nor offer any apologies. You made your decisions who would play and who wouldn’t and you stand by that. You had a perfect opportunity to mold a child into a better basketball player and give her the skills you so readily told her she didn’t have. Instead you choose to sit Randi out during practices from learning your drills & plays and basically ignored her, and chose then not to play her because of her lack of skills. I always thought a Coach was also a teacher. I wrote this letter in hopes you would HEAR me but I am afraid what I had to say to you fell on deaf ears. I am only one voice but there are other parents and children that feel the same as the words I expressed to you and you would be surprised to know most of the girls on your team also felt you were wrong in the treatment of Randi and others. Even though I clearly didn’t get the response from you that I was hoping thank you for taking the time to respond. Randi has learned one valuable lesson out of all of this and that is when to walk away.
Well everyone wish me luck I will need it.
Thought for the day:
Treat others as you would wish to be treated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Sunshine. You will do great!! you have a way with words and making people listen. If not at least you stood by your child and supported her. I am very proud of you jolly rancher and would be proud to have you for a mom.

Love ya
Tweatter-birdie

Anonymous said...

Damn...I didn't even have time yesterday to read the blog and now I am. Sorry I didn't wish you luck sooner! i briefly asked Brookie last night about Randi and basketball and I only know that she did end up leaving the team. So sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. You are right though, we as coaches should be teachers too. You don't tell a kid they aren't any good at something and then not attempt to better them...THAT IS YOUR JOB!! A
Working with children for as long as I have, I know that a child's confidence and self esteem is more important than mine when it comes to things like this. Sounds like all the coach really cares about is winning. I mean when you play a sport yes you do want your team to win and you try your best but it shouldn't be at any of the children's expense, especially in junior high!!!!! I stand behind you on this one Mish all the way! DD and I know a few things about unfair treatment of children. (recital try outs) Well I am intrigued to hear today how the meeing went. I love ya lady!!!

~M~ said...

You are all such awesome friends and your support means so very much. I was born a fighter and the loss of sleep over this whole experience makes me feel to the depth of my sole I was chosen for a purpose to make a stand not only for my child but the next children in line. I hope someone actually hears my plight! Love you all!

~M~ said...

soul is the right word lol!!!!!