Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Trust Broken

Well I knew my time would come raising two teenagers. Yesterday when I went home for lunch I was moving some stuff around the fridge when I noticed a bottle of rum that I have had in there for over a year. It is a blackcherry clear rum. Funny thing is I remember the bottle being quite full and now it is maybe only 2 inches full. So I know I didn't drink it and I know that no one has been to the house to drink it. So I called the girls in the kitchen and I simply told them you are both grounded until someone fesses up to it. Well at first they were both quite indignant and told me pretty much I probably just had forgotten one of my friends had guzzled my bottle or rum. I told them we all know I am too smart for that bullshit so come back to me when you are ready to tell me what really happen. Well just a few minutes went by when both girls were standing before me and Randi told Brooke to tell me. Randi wasn't about to waste being grounded for Brooke and confession time had begun. So in the long run which I knew was going to be coming around I can no longer have my alcohol in an unlocked cabinet because Brooke and a curious friend took it upon themselves to have a sampling day. I was not to hard on Brooke I remember the age well and I also remember me at that age. My parents did not drink nor was alcohol in the house but I had friends that had parents that did. Not that this is anything to brag about but at least we were smart enough to fill the bottle back up where it was with water! So yesterday I had one of those days where I felt as if I failed as a parent. I trusted too much and now I feel as if I can't leave my girls that should be old enough at home when I decide to go out. I explained to both of my girls if your're curious come to me don't go behind my back and break a trust. I know if this is the worst thing I will encounter with my teenage girls I am actually doing well. There are far worst things that she could of done. So for the time being I won't be enjoying my Thursday nights unless I have a babysitter for my soon to be sixteen year old taste testing daughter! Love all around!
Thought for the day:
Trust is earned not given!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. A bad parent wouldn't even notice that alcohol is missing. A bad parent would not ground their child for drinking. A bad parent wouldn't care and that is definately not you. You are no failure and I back you 100%. GO MAMA GARRETT!!!!!!!
Love you bunches!

French Fry said...

I totally agree with Billy O. You are an awesome parent for showing them how much you love them. It sucks that you can't enjoy your Thursday night get aways but I'm sure it won't be too long and you'll be able to trust her again. I'm pretty sure she has learned her lesson. I wouldn't want you mad at me! :)
Love ya Mish.

Anonymous said...

U r a supermom mish! I truley think you are an incredible mom. Children always test our limits, I often think that the lesson to be learned is my own, more than the child's. Follow your heart my dear friend and know that strong love is one of the best!!!

luv ya,
kel

~M~ said...

you are such incredible friends. I truly love you all! It is a lesson for both daughter and mom. I know this is totally age appropriate but it pains me to see them grow. Love ya M

Anonymous said...

I was trying to say that your lessoned learned was NOT LOOSING YOUR COOL, you dealt with it in the most wonderful way...loving and stern! you taught ME a lesson and that is really the point I was trying to make. i don't think you made any wrong choices, we are adults and should be allowed the good times we have, they are children and they KNOW alchohol is a huge NO NO for them! chicky...i loose my cool WAY TOO often, that is why I needed to learn the lesson!

i think you took my commet the wrong way. I think VERY highly of you the way you handled it, the way you remembered what it was like to be their age, that is stuff I forget all the time!

~M~ said...

no I knew what u meant and loved what u said. Love you

Anonymous said...

I FRICKEN LOVE YOU BACK BABY!

always will!